The California Penal Code is a collection of laws that prohibit any activity involving illegal drugs and controlled substances. The law has prescribed the following as the objects of the crime:
• Marijuana, its byproducts, seeds and other extracts;
• Cocaine, its byproducts, base and other extracts;
• Methamphetamine, its byproducts, base and other extracts;
• Barbiturates, its byproducts, base and other extracts;
• LSD or acid, its byproducts, base and other extracts;
• Heroin, its byproducts, base and other extracts;
• Club drugs, its byproducts and extracts such as Ecstasy or G;
• Other illegally obtained prescription drugs;
• Other illegal substances.
These substances are covered under the Uniform Controlled Substances Act. The law provides for criminalization of the possession, sale, transport, cultivation, manufacture or trafficking of these illegal substances. The following are the penalties that can be imposed for violation of the law:
• Probation in the formal and informal types;
• Incarceration in a penal facility, be it county, state or federal;
• Attendance in a drug counseling or rehabilitation program;
• Mandatory registration as a narcotics offender;
• Payment of fees and other fines;
• Confiscation of drug proceeds and paraphernalia.
The crime of illegal drug sales is a serious matter in California. Should you be or know anyone facing any of these charges, do reach out to the lawyers at the Law Offices of Ramiro J. Lluis for a free consultation today.