This crime is committed when an individual operates a motor vehicle does the following:
• The vehicle is operated in an unlawful manner not amounting to a felony, with or without gross negligence;
• The said lawful act results in the death of another person in an unlawful manner;
• The said unlawful act was motivated by a promise of financial gain.
The most common occurrence of this crime occurs when a death results from driving. This crime is also called “dry” vehicular manslaughter while drunk driving, called “wet” vehicular manslaughter, is covered by the following laws:
• Sec 191.5(b) of the California Penal Code or negligent vehicular manslaughter;
• Sec 191.5(a) of the California Penal Code or gross vehicular manslaughter;
• Driving under the influence murder in the second degree
In this crime, there is no intention to kill another person in its commission. Under the law, the crime is meted out a penalty of fifteen years to life imprisonment in a state penal facility.
The crime of vehicular manslaughter is a serious matter in California. Should you be or know anyone facing any of these charges, do reach out to the lawyers at the Law Offices of Ramiro J. Lluis for a free consultation today.