Sec 4461 of the California Penal Code penalizes the misuse of handicap placards for parking and other purposes. These are as follows:
- Lending another person your validly issued handicap placard to an individual not entitled to use such handicap placards;
- Knowing permission to use by another individual who is not entitled to this benefit;
- Display of a disability parking placard not validly issued to the user by the Department of Motor Vehicles;
- Use of another’s vehicle that displays a valid disability placard and parking in a spot reserved for disabled persons.
These provisions exempt an individual when actively transporting a disabled person.
When convicted of this offense, the following are the applicable penalties:
- Civil penalties between $250 and $1,000;
- Misdemeanor offense with an imposable penalty of up to six (6) months in a county jail and a fine between $250 and $1,000;
- In lieu of the fines or in addition to the aforementioned, the court may in its discretion impose a $1,500 civil penalty.
The crime of possessing concealed dirks, daggers or explosives is a serious offense in California. Should you be or know anyone undergoing this process, do reach out to the lawyers at the Law Offices of Ramiro J. Lluis for a free consultation today.