Health care fraud is a rampant industry in the United States especially in California. Because of the many individuals that are part of the whole system, from doctors, nurses, dentists, patients, insurance companies and other health care providers, there are many moving parts where fraud can be perpetrated. Also, this kind of fraud can be committed not only on the service level of the system, but also on the supply system such as drug suppliers, medical equipment suppliers, researchers, laboratories, nursing homes, ambulance companies, group homes and hospitals.
The following are some of the forms of health care fraud:
• charging for health care that was not provided;
• double billing for medical services;
• billing each procedure within a larger procedure;
• falsification of records of patients to generate unnecessary testing and surgeries;
• receiving “kickbacks” for prescribing certain medications.
The following are some of the penalties that can be imposed when convicted of the crime of health care fraud:
• monetary fines;
• payment of restitution;
The crime of health care fraud is a serious matter in California. Should you be or know anyone facing any of these charges, do reach out to the lawyers at the Law Offices of Ramiro J. Lluis for a free consultation today.